- About the SSI
- Our Work
- Get Involved
- Contact Us
The Student Sustainability Initiative (SSI) Outreach Coordinator is an employee of the SSI and a member of the SSI Marketing Team. This Team includes the Design, Media, and Outreach Coordinators, and is tasked with publicizing the SSI and its activities. This position is responsible for publicizing the SSI primarily through in-person efforts, as well as identifying and/or creating these opportunities.
All staff members of the SSI are responsible for furthering the SSI’s mission and vision in the following ways: (1) recruit and train potential SSI staff, interns, and volunteers, (2) act as a liaison between the SSI and other organizations, (3) encourage and support students in furthering their own vision of sustainability on campus, (4) develop a sense of ownership and community for students within the SSI, (5) increase community understanding of the need for a sustainable culture and the opportunities and resources available to address that need, and (6) encourage movement by the institution towards a sustainable future.
● Hold regular office hours at the SSC
● Attend staff meetings
● Meet individually with Director at least twice quarterly to check in
● Recruit, coordinate, and supervise volunteers and interns
● Collaborate closely with members of the Marketing Team to (1) ensure promotion of the SSI and its activities, (2) stay up-to-date on the activities and advertising needs of project coordinators, and (3) assist other groups in the promotion of sustainability-related activities
● Act as a liaison between the SSI and related grant recipients, helping them plan and implement their projects
● Coordinate and facilitate in-person promotion of the SSI and its activities
● Continually seek to improve the efficacy and efficiency of the SSI's promotional efforts, strategies, abilities, and resources
● Stay informed of and organize opportunities for the SSI to increase its exposure
● Maintain and improve communication between the SSI and individuals, student groups, OSU departments, and community groups for visibility and outreach purposes
● An understanding of, and passion for, sustainability
● Detail oriented
● Problem solving skills
● Strong communication and public speaking skills
● Experience working with diverse groups of people
● Ability to work individually and as part of a team
● Great people skills
● Experience working with volunteers or interns
● Demonstrated inclination to take initiative
● Experience doing advertising, marketing, or outreach for projects or organizations
● Knowledge of the SSI, its history, and its activities
● Experience coordinating an advertising, outreach, or marketing campaign
● Experience coordinating volunteers, interns, or staff
● Experience working with the media (press release, letters to the editor, etc.)
● Demonstrated leadership abilities
● Knowledge of outreach opportunities and tactics at OSU
● Experience planning events at OSU and/or knowledge of event planning resources and restrictions at OSU
● Basic familiarity with photography, multimedia, social media
● Awareness of, and connections to, campus and community sustainability groups
Open to Applications
Employment Dates and Hours:
● Employment starts May 20 at 5-15 hours/week. At that point in time, the successful candidate will work with the current Coordinator on hiring, transitioning, and training.
● If working over the summer, will work at 10-20 hours/week starting June 16.
● SSI staff training and orientation is September 12-27, totalling approximately 80 hours. Participation of all staff is mandatory.
● Expected to work 10-15 hours/week during fall, winter, and spring terms. Some work may be necessary over breaks as well.
● Employment will last until June 15th of the following year.
Pay rate will start at $9.90 per hour.
Terms and Conditions:
SSI employees must (1) maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA or higher, be enrolled in at least 6 credits at OSU during the employment period, and must not be on academic probation, (2) affirm and uphold University policies that help create and maintain a welcoming and equal opportunity campus. (OSU and the SSI do not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran's status.)
Submit a cover letter and resume addressed to the SSI Search Committee online at oregonstate.edu/ssi/jobs. In the cover letter, please address at least one of the following: why are you interested in working for the SSI; what do you feel you have to contribute to the program and/or the position; how do you feel the SSI can best create a culture of sustainability at OSU. Applications are due Friday, May 3, 2013. Please indicate position area(s) of interest and whether or not there is interest in working over the summer.
Please address questions to the current Director at email@example.com. For more information about the SSI, please visit http://oregonstate.edu/ssi/.