- About the SSI
- Our Work
- Get Involved
- Contact Us
The Student Sustainability Initiative (SSI) Director is an employee of the SSI, and is directly responsible for all activities and programs of the SSI, and for the use and well-being of the Student Sustainability Center (SSC). In particular, this position is responsible for: (1) the coordination, supervision, development, and well being of SSI staff, (2) the representation to, and relationships with, partnering organizations, (3) the health, longevity, efficiency, effectiveness, and advancement of the program as a whole.
All staff members of the SSI are responsible for furthering the SSI’s mission and vision in the following ways: (1) recruit and train potential SSI staff, interns, and volunteers, (2) act as a liaison between the SSI and other organizations, (3) encourage and support students in furthering their own vision of sustainability on campus, (4) develop a sense of ownership and community for students within the SSI, (5) increase community understanding of the need for a sustainable culture and the opportunities and resources available to address that need, and (6) encourage movement by the institution towards a sustainable future.
○ Lead long-term visioning and strategic planning for the program
○ Orchestrate advancement of the program
○ Report to the Student Sustainability Advisor and other SSI advisors
○ Oversee budget and approve expenditures
○ Support the design, refinement, and implementation of sustainability concepts and projects
○ Develop assessment plan and oversee program development in order to address shortcomings identified by assessment
○ Act as the primary representative of the SSI for media relation purposes
○ Supervise staff and facilitate their supervision of interns and volunteers
○ Lead staff meetings
○ Meet individually with staff members at least twice quarterly to check in
○ Guide and advise staff on any issue not overseen by the administrative coordinator
○ Facilitate communication among staff and mediate staff conflicts
○ Recruit and hire SSI staff
○ Facilitate staff transitioning, training, orientation, and development
○ Facilitate human resources support for students on the SSI’s payroll
○ Collect and submit staff time sheets
○ Facilitate relationship building between SSI staff and other student groups and OSU departments
○ Help educate staff on sustainability efforts
○ Oversee the use and well-being of the SSC
● Fee Board
○ Sit on the Fee Board as a non-voting ex officio member
○ Advise and inform Fee Board decisions and programs
○ Ensure communication between Board and staff
○ Assist with Fee Board activities and responsibilities
○ Act as a liaison between the SSI and (A) its primary partners, and (B) other departments or groups on campus
● An understanding of, and passion for, sustainability
● An understanding of the SSI, its history, and its activities
○ Problem solving skills
○ Demonstrated inclination to take initiative
○ Demonstrated leadership abilities
○ Experience working with, and facilitating communication within, diverse groups of people
○ Strong verbal and written communication skills
○ Ability to work individually and as part of a team
○ Experience coordinating volunteers or staff
○ Experience managing the finances for a project or organization
● Planning & Networking
○ An awareness of and/or connection to campus and community groups
○ Demonstrated ability to successfully plan and execute projects, events, or campaigns
○ Awareness of diverse approaches to creating cultures of sustainability
● Experience supervising staff
● Experience recruiting volunteers or staff
● Experience facilitating volunteer or staff development
● Experience facilitating or overseeing organizational development
● Experience working with, or for, the SSI
● Advertising and marketing experience
● Human resources experience or training
● Student organizing experience or training
● Formal leadership and organizational development training
Open to Applications
Employment Dates and Hours:
● Employment starts May 13 at 10-20 hours/week. At that point in time, the successful candidate will work with the current Director on hiring, transitioning, and training.
● As of June 16, regular hours will begin at 20-40 hours/week during summer term.
● SSI staff training and orientation is September 12-27, totalling approximately 80 hours.
● Expected to work 20 hours/week during fall, winter, and spring terms. Some work may be necessary over breaks as well.
● Employment will last until June 15th of the following year.
Pay rate will start at $10.40 per hour.
Terms and Conditions:
SSI employees must (1) maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA or higher, be enrolled in at least 6 credits at OSU during the employment period, and must not be on academic probation, (2) affirm and uphold University policies that help create and maintain a welcoming and equal opportunity campus. (OSU and the SSI do not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran's status.)
Submit a cover letter and resume addressed to the SSI Search Committee via email to the SSI Fee Board Chair (firstname.lastname@example.org). In the cover letter, please address at least one of the following: why are you interested in working for the SSI; what do you feel you have to contribute to the program and/or the position; how do you feel the SSI can best create a culture of sustainability at OSU. Applications are due Friday, April 26, 2013.
Please address questions to the current Director at email@example.com. For more information about the SSI, please visit http://oregonstate.edu/ssi/.