- About the SSI
- Our Work
- Get Involved
- Contact Us
The Student Sustainability Initiative (SSI) Administrative Coordinator is an employee of the SSI, and is directly responsible for administration of the program and its facilities. In particular, this position is responsible for: (1) assisting the Director in his or her responsibilities, (2) guiding and advising staff, (3) overseeing program finances, (4) managing and overseeing the SSC, and (5) ensuring program and activity assessment.
All staff members of the SSI are responsible for furthering the SSI’s mission and vision in the following ways: (1) recruit and train potential SSI staff, interns, and volunteers, (2) act as a liaison between the SSI and other organizations, (3) encourage and support students in furthering their own vision of sustainability on campus, (4) develop a sense of ownership and community for students within the SSI, (5) increase community understanding of the need for a sustainable culture and the opportunities and resources available to address that need, and (6) encourage movement by the institution towards a sustainable future.
● Support and assist the Director(s)
● Hold regular office hours at the SSC
● Attend staff meetings
● Meet individually with Director at least twice quarterly to check in
● Guide and advise staff on day-to-day, logistical, and administrative issues
● Oversee financial transactions - expenditure and paperwork - by the program. These duties include, but are not limited to: (a) purchasing general supplies for the SSC, (b) paying the expenses of SSI grant recipients, and (c) overseeing expenditures by staff for SSI projects and marketing efforts
● Procure and maintain financial records for the SSI indexes, and provide reports updating the program’s Advisor(s), Director(s), and Fee Board Chair of the program’s financial status on a monthly and quarterly basis
● Manage and oversee the OSU Student Sustainability Center (SSC). These duties include, but are not limited to: (a) ensuring janitorial services are provided for the SSC through MU Building Services, (b) reporting maintenance or repair needs of the SSC to MU Building Services and ensuring those needs are satisfied, (c) managing reservations for the SSC, and (d) creating schedules for staff office hours and chores
● Taking, organizing, and ensuring publication of minutes for SSI staff and Fee Board meetings when requested
● Ensure implementation of assessment plan and address shortcomings in the assessment process, for specific activities and the program as a whole
● An understanding of, and passion for, sustainability
● Problem solving skills
● Experience working with diverse groups of people
● Strong verbal and written communication skills
● Ability to work individually and as part of a team
● Great people skills
● Experience managing the finances for a project or organization
● Good bookkeeping skills (meeting minutes, accounting, etc.)
● Knowledge of the SSI, its history, and its activities
● Understanding of OSU purchasing policies
● Demonstrated inclination to take initiative
● Demonstrated leadership abilities
● An awareness of and/or connection to campus and community groups
● Demonstrated ability to successfully plan and execute projects, events, or campaigns
● Awareness of diverse approaches to creating cultures of sustainability
● Experience coordinating volunteers or staff
● Experience with, and knowledge of, organizational development
Open to Applications
Employment Dates and Hours:
● Employment starts May 20 at 5-15 hours/week. At that point in time, the successful candidate will work with the current Coordinator on hiring, transitioning, and training.
● If working over the summer, will work at 10-20 hours/week starting June 16.
● SSI staff training and orientation is September 12-27, totalling approximately 80 hours. Participation of all staff is mandatory.
● Expected to work 15-20 hours/week during fall, winter, and spring terms. Some work may be necessary over breaks as well.
● Employment will last until June 15th of the following year.
Employment starts May 20th at 5 - 15 hours/week. At that point in time, the successful candidate will work with the current Project Coordinator on hiring, transitioning, and training. If working over the summer, summer hours will begin June 16th at 10-20 hours/week. Two weeks before the beginning of Fall Term, training hours will begin for all staff: 20-40 hours per week. As of the first day of classes, regular hours will begin: 10-15 hours/week during fall, winter, and spring terms. Employment will last until June 15th of the following year.
Pay rate will start at $9.90 per hour.
Terms and Conditions:
SSI employees must (1) maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA or higher, be enrolled in at least 6 credits at OSU during the employment period, and must not be on academic probation, (2) affirm and uphold University policies that help create and maintain a welcoming and equal opportunity campus. (OSU and the SSI do not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran's status.)
Submit a cover letter and resume addressed to the SSI Search Committee online at oregonstate.edu/ssi/jobs. In the cover letter, please address at least one of the following: why are you interested in working for the SSI; what do you feel you have to contribute to the program and/or the position; how do you feel the SSI can best create a culture of sustainability at OSU. Applications are due Friday, May 3, 2013. Please indicate position area(s) of interest and whether or not there is interest in working over the summer.
Please address questions to the current Director at email@example.com. For more information about the SSI, please visit http://oregonstate.edu/ssi/.